Last summer, while visiting friends on the Big Lake, I was introduced to the most wonderful concoction: a Blueberry -Cucumber Martini. It was cool and refreshing, so summery and so pretty! I thought, "I could bathe in this."
Sunset on the dock calls for a refreshing seasonal cocktail, and I've discovered (through a little research) that a Blueberry-Cucumber Gimlet (made with gin) is even more delightful! The slices of cooling cucumber create a refreshing base for the cocktail. Add a handful of fresh berries, a dash of citrus (I prefer lime juice), a quick pour of simple syrup, a gin with luxurious botanicals, and maybe a sprig of fresh mint from the garden - and you have a fantastic cocktail to sip through summer... as well as a decadent bar of cold process soap to soothe and cool sun-kissed skin. I like the additional fragrance nuances furnished by the botanicals in the gin - so the soap has a bit of an herbal infusion as well.
But now... the dillemma: Is it proper to name a soap after a cocktail? Might we not come up with something tongue-in-cheek with a nod to good manners? This IS Wolfeboro, after all!
Yield: 1 cocktail
Glassware: lowball glass
Tools: shaker, muddler
1/4 cup blueberries, more for garnish
8-10 slices cucumber, more for garnish
1 fl. oz. (15ml) fresh lime juice
1 fl. oz. (15ml) simple syrup
2 fl. oz. (30ml) gin
1. Add blueberries and cucumber into a shaker and smash several times with the muddler until juices are released; add lime juice, syrup, and gin, and top with ice cubes. Cap the shaker and shake vigorously until well combined, about 20-30 seconds.
2. Pour mixture into glass, half-filled with ice. Garnish with cucumber slices, blueberries, and a sprig of mint. Serve chilled.
3. Imagine taking your cocktail with you into the shower after a sun-drenched, bluebird-sky day of playing and relaxing on the lake.
4. Follow Winnipesaukee Soap Company on Pinterest and Facebook
5. Create a Pinterest Board titled “Winnipesaukee Soap Company”
6. Repin the images above with your name suggestions, and our logo to your board - plus at least 10 images of sunset on The Big Lake and your 5 favorite soaps from Winnipesaukee Soap Company. Got a recipe for a blueberry-cucumber smoothie or other libation? Do post that too!!!
7. Email us a link to your pinboard along with your first and last names thru the “contact us” form at http://www.winnisoapco.com/contact.html.
8. Need more inspiration? Just send us your address and we'll send you a little sample of the soap to try! The winner will be announced on Friday, May 30 - to kick off the summer season. Name our soap, and you'll be famous from Alton Bay to Center Harbor, and beyond! Plus, we'll send you some custom-labeled bars with your name on them for bragging rights!
Winnipesaukee Soap Company
Cleanse your skin with confidence, knowing that our all-natural soap is always safe for you, and for the Earth.